Amazing architecture in Edinburgh
Last visited: 2017
February 1, 2017
Edinburgh - Wiki
- Edinburgh is Scotland's second-most populous city, after Glasgow, and the seventh-most populous city in the United Kingdom.
- Recognised as the capital of Scotland since at least the 15th century, Edinburgh is the seat of the Scottish Government, the Scottish Parliament and the highest courts in Scotland.
- Edinburgh's official population estimates 1,384,950 (2019)
- The city is also known for the Edinburgh International Festival and the Fringe, the latter being the world's largest annual international arts festival.
- The earliest known human habitation in the Edinburgh area was at Cramond, where evidence was found of a Mesolithic camp site dated to c. 8500 BC.
Places to visit:
- It stands on Castle Rock, which has been occupied by humans since at least the Iron Age, although the nature of the early settlement is unclear.
- is Scotland's most and the United Kingdom's second most-visited paid tourist attraction, with over 2.2 million visitors in 2019 and over 70 percent of leisure visitors to Edinburgh visiting the castle.
- The castle stands upon the plug of an extinct volcano, which is estimated to have risen about 350 million years ago during the lower Carboniferous period. The Castle Rock is the remains of a volcanic pipe
- It appears, in stylised form, on the coats of arms of the City of Edinburgh and the University of Edinburgh.
- Since 2009 the castle, as part of Edinburgh's World Heritage Site, has appeared on £10 notes issued by the Clydesdale Bank.
- The auditorium, which opened in 1923, originally seated 900, and was later increased to 1,900 in 1928. The cinema was closed in 1984 and was converted into a discothèque in 1986.
- Notable past performers include Robin Trower, Wishbone Ash, Uriah Heep, Hawkwind, Rory Gallagher, Queen, Beck, Bogert & Appice, Gentle Giant and AC/DC.
- The Financial Times Mag "one of Edinburgh's top five places to hang out"
- This bar specialises in Scottish Whisky, currently with over 130+ (and ever growing)malts. Staff are well trained for any whiskies
West Bow (Victoria St) - Location
- Its gentle curve and colourful shopfronts make it a favourite spot for tourist photos, postcards and TV adverts.
- Victoria Street was built between 1829-34 as part of a series of improvements to the Old Town, with the aim of improving access around the city. Previously, access from the Grassmarket to the Lawnmarket was via the West Bow, a very steeply sloped and narrow lane. The new street was planned to demolish much of the old West Bow, and provide a broad sweeping link to the newly built George IV Bridge.
- Situated beyond the east end of Princes Street and included in the city's UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Calton Hill is the headquarters of the Scottish Government, which is based at St Andrew's House
- Alot to see here: the National Monument the Nelson Monument, the Dugald Stewart Monument, the old Royal High School, the Robert Burns Monument, the Political Martyrs' Monument and the City Observatory.
- "The White Hart" is an inn in the Grassmarket, established early in the 16th century. It stood a few hundred steps from the place where public hangings were held, and was popular among spectators. Robert Burns and William Wordsworth were among its notable visitors, and Burke and Hare found some of the victims of their murder-for-body-parts scheme
- Is a tourist attraction located in Outlook Tower on the Castlehill section of the Royal Mile close to Edinburgh Castle. The original attraction was founded by entrepreneur Maria Theresa Short in 1835 and was exhibited on Calton Hill. Outlook Tower has been a museum since the late 1890s and is currently home to many interactive exhibits, including the original Camera Obscura.
- is a former village immediately northwest of the city centre of Edinburgh, Scotland. It was known as the "Water of Leith Village" and was a successful grain milling area for more than 800 years. At one time there were no fewer than eleven working mills there, driven by the strong currents of the Water of Leith.
- From the mid-1970s onwards it became recognised as a tranquil oasis, very close to the city centre, and redevelopment and restoration began, converting workers' cottages, warehouses and mill buildings. This included development on a cleared former industrial site on the north side of the river.
- The area has now become a desirable residential area.
- Life-size statue of a 19th-century Skye terrier said to have sat by his owner's grave for 14 years.
- Zebra Coffee Company - Location
- LOWDOWN - Location
- Fortitude Coffee - Location
- The Milkman - Location
- Cairngorm Coffee - Location
- Gordon St Coffee Edinburgh - Location
- Cult Espresso - Location
- Wellington Coffee - Location
- Kilimanjaro Coffee - Location
- Union Brew Lab - Location