Pinterest UK Ads launch event

Pinterest UK Ads launch event

Media Post

Ian Adams


The launch event of Ads in the UK market


Conference on Pinterest up coming ad solution for brands

March 1, 2016

Release dates: UK April, Ireland, New Zealand and Australia in Q3,Q4.

The stats

3.5X increase UK user Growth10M UK users MUVs70/30 female to male split21% 25-34 (the largest user)80% of users are on mobile80-90% ad impressions on mobileOn average each pin gets 11 re-pins.4th April launch Ad platform launch75% of pins come from brands the other 25% are from bloggers, publishers. All ‘small percentage’ of this comes from generated content.84% of pinners want to follow brands73% of users search for items to purchase76% save products to buy later93% of pinners plan to make a purchase later72% of pinner have seen something on Pinterest and made a purchase off-line

Why Promoted Pins

1 Native placement 2 UK auction prices low. (no competition) 3 Low CPA’s high average order values on purchases.


Pinterest is a platform when users are in the very early stages of research compared to other channels. (The initial inspiration) Example of this planning; Seasonal events for events, Pinterest has seen an early serge in Christmas gifts and ideas as early at 4 month on advanced. Other examples Pinterest has seen spikes in Mother’s day, Back to School and Halloween. Day to Day The largest categorizes include, DIY crafts, Women Fashion, Food & Drink, Home decor, Art, Hair & beauty. These can all inform everyday users what to make, what to cook or how to wear items of hair.

Pinterest for insights

Anyone has access to Search Pinterest search as seen below connects keywords together like predictive sub-categorizes. The example given today was [Adidas] > [Shoes] > [Retro] With every sub-category shown it gives brands some visibility on what people are searching with these keywords.  (Image) Repins With any Pin that has been re-pinned users can click on the re-pin button to see where this pin has been added to boards. The example given was a pin for a wallpaper pattern, this feature then enabled the users to see the type of boards being added to like Kitchen boards, bedroom boards. Pinterest Analytics – Business Account needed Brands can see insights in the people that have pinned content from the brands boards. See what type of content they Pin and categories they engage with.

Buying models (Auction only)

Campaign objectives CPE – (Close up + Repin +Click through) 2-5% engagement rate overall benchmark. – Close-up pin – Re-pin – Click through CPC – Click through

Ad unit details

Name: Promoted pinEngagement rate is the same as organic pins90% lower hide rate then other social platforms.Can dark posts pins for A/B testsCan’t use 3rd party tracking like Double-click within the destination URL. Can use UTM parameters analytics tracking.Users have to be logged in to be delivered an ads.

User intent after engagement

If Close up 2.4x more likely to sign up If Repin 3.2x more likely to sign up andthen 1.4x likely to convert If Click through 4.5x more likely to sign upthen 5.8x convert Engagements to conversions 30-60 day attribution window because 88% convert on the same day, 12% convert after that day IF Close-up 1.3x If Repin 2.4x If Click through 5.2x

Placements and Targeting


Home feedCategorizes feedsSearch Results


Interests: Home feed based on user actions (what they have liked/pinned before)keywords: Placement only in search)Locations: ITV Regions for nowLanguagesDeviceGenders (based of users actions)

Campaign structure and best practice

Setup Campaign per targeting

Broad keywordsSpecific keywordsInterests (100+)

Pinterest will optimist depending on the campaign objective. Pinterest will need up to a week to automatically optimize the best performing out of the different pins within a campaign.

Conversions tag

Types of tags:

VisitsSign-upsCheckouts (Can pull back through Basket Value)

Can assign attribution window for the different actions CPA will be high at the beginning of the campaign however will improve over time when earned views genorate conversions. Pinterest reports that they see 50% of impressions are earned impressions. This helps to define ECPA (Earned Cost Per Action) and ECPE (Earned Cost Per Engagement) Higher number of earned Actions and Engagements helps with adrank in search.


Rich pins, pulls in details product website including price, colour, stock. Rich pins rank higher within Pinterest. Cinegraphic mobile only adaptive unit. (GIF)

Future products(Not confirmed and no time-line on release)

Custom audiences will be available to upload and re-targeting Also pulling in the 3rd party data Location targeting will be ITV regions

  • Retargeting – custom data
  • Price drop - notification
  • NRe-targeting – website

Site Content

Portfilio Excerpt

Twitter | Instagram | LinkedIn

© 2023 Ian Adams | Views are my own